1. Introduce yourself and what it is you do.
MD: They call me Madison and I love to dance! Ha! Seriously, I am a word imagineer. I dream it. I write it. I love it.
2. Your office: Home, Starbucks, dining room table, couch?
MD: Wherever my laptop will go. I tend to write everywhere. If I’m inspired, I write it down, no matter where I am. But the couch gets a lot of that mileage.
3. What are your current and past projects that you have you done?
MD: Ember: Book One in the Ember Series, releasing Feb. 29th 2012 (courtesy of Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing). Downpour: Book Two in the Ember Series is ready and waiting for future publishing. 13 Breaths, another series I am close to releasing. I have a short called Temptation Waits that is close to seeing the light of day and a few writing surprises. I’m so excited about all the different slivers of expression that I have in the works. (Maybe even an independent comic book series...)
4. What’s the best advice you have ever received regarding your writing?
MD: Shut up and write. Just write, no matter what. Figure all the rest out later.
5. If you are self-published, tell us about your experiences, pros and cons.
MD: Self-publishing is a double edged sword. The excitement of being your own boss and having the control to do whatever you like is balanced by the grind of self-promotion and swimming with all the “big fish” in the literary sea. The process has been the best experience for me, personally. I have met some of the nicest and humbling people because of the process. Warning: do not proceed with self-publishing if you can’t weather the criticism. It will find you. Everyone who has self-published has had to grow a thicker skin.
6. What weird thing do you do, a quirk or something we don’t know about you?
MD: I hate to admit this but I am a nail biter. Hands only! I try so hard not too but I can be a nervous bugger sometimes.
7. Are you a pantser writer or an outline plotter?
MD: More of an outliner with a splash of panster. First, I write everything on paper with a pen, old school. Later, it spills onto my computer. My outlines differ from being very detailed to hardly a cohesive thought or sentence. Every so often though, I just open my MacBook Pro and start writing. No retreat...no surrender.
8. What do you do to help you write? Do you down the energy drinks? Eat junk food? Run around the house to get the inspiration going? Blast the tunes? Do tell.
MD: Music...always! There is nothing music can’t cure...including writers block. My dreams are a great catalyst too. Very inspiring at times.
9. What would be your advice to aspiring authors?
MD: Shut up and write! Don’t worry about anything else...just write. Editing, covers, agents...there will be plenty of time to plow through those obstacles later on. Just write down that next thought.
10. Where can we stalk you online?
MD: The usual haunts...
BLOG - http://madisondaniel13.blogspot.com
FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/Madison.Daniel.Author
TWITTER - http://twitter.com/#!/MadisonDaniel13
PUBLISHER - http://www.crushingheartsandblackbutterfly.com/index.html
Photos and cover art used by permission of the author
Questions and Blog Design by Alexia Purdy and Amy Conley